Thursday, March 20, 2008

Post #1: American Author Proposal

The author I would like to do for my American Author project is Augusten Burroughs. I have read one of his books before and I relate to a lot of the things he writes about. He writes about extreme situations, which I have not experienced personally, but the way he writes about his reactions and observations to adversity hits home for me.
Burroughs fills the criteria for American Authors because he is American and writes about issues that are very stereotypically American, such as look-obsessed celebrities and television shopping networks. He is a prose writer who writes both fiction and non-fiction work. He has three books, 2 memoirs and 1 novel that fill the requirements. His work is well recognized, due to his fame acquired from the feature length film based on his memoir, “Running with Scissors.” Another of his novels, “Sellevision,” is currently in production to be released as a feature length film this year.
Burroughs has a unique writing style, which is entirely dry and matter-of-fact. He writes on taboo and uncomfortable subjects in an objective way that creates a false sense of normalcy. I think that focusing specifically on his writing style could make for some interesting theses.

No comments: